Sunday, July 29, 2007

Economic Boom?

I keep hearing about how southeast Texas is experiencing an economic boom. There are multi-million...even billion dollar plant expansions coming to the area. The plants will bring all sorts of jobs to the area and will pump large amounts of cash into the area's economy. Goodie goodie!

I'm sure thousands of folks will benefit from all of this, but I question just how much this will help the Ingram household.

I don't have a degree in engineering. At this point in my life, with 6 kids to feed, going back to college is not an option. I am not a welder and really have no desire to become one. I'm sure there will be quite a few desk jobs for paper pushers making around $20K a year. That won't cut it for a family man. So for someone like me, what does all of this “good news” really do?

I seriously doubt any of the companies I work for now will take a look at some economic index of the area and give me a raise because of how well industries are doing. In fact, even though there is all of this growth, I'm told one of channel 12's competitors has laid off a number of its production staff. The lay offs are said to be due to the addition of robo cams and other automation. Ah yes, the fruits of a company's growth!

(By the way, for a quick laugh, check out the wonders of a robo-cam)

I'm sure property values will go up even more, so I'll pay more in taxes. I'm sure there will be more businesses in the area and the population will go up. This means the crime rate near my home will go up and prices will get closer to the inflated numbers we see in Houston.

More crime... higher prices...higher taxes... help! Save me from economic growth!