Thursday, August 30, 2007

Not All Spending is Bad

This week the sheriff’s deputies union and Jefferson County appear to have reached contract deal. The deputies are getting a raise and both sides seem to be happy.

Under most circumstances I hate government spending and don’t want to see increases in government spending. I am not a fan of big government. In this instance, I’m happy to see the increase.

For most of my friends this may seem out of character to for me because I’m usually the first to complain about the government spending my money on pure crap. In reality, it fits exactly in line with my view of what government is supposed to be doing for me and other citizens. I want government to protect me from others. That’s really all I want from the government and I don’t mind paying for it. I would rather see big paychecks attracting better candidates to become sheriff’s deputies, firemen and policemen than all of the spending we do on shiny new parks and museums.

In my previous post I realize I may have come across as someone who is against spending on education. That’s not the case. Just to clarify, I think they are not spending the money wisely. Do we really need to buy everything on credit? That is my point.