Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Digital Revolution

(note: I did not mention KOLE in this post because the receivers are not for sale yet. If this has changed, let me know because I would like to hear the AM digital signal)

The “future” of radio has debuted in Southeast Texas….Digital Radio.

I’m surprised that KVLU’s launching of a digital signal didn’t get more attention than it did.

Anyone listening with a regular radio will not notice a thing.

Those with a digital receiver (also called an HD receiver ) will hear the CD quality signal AND have the ability to hear two additional audio streams from KVLU.

Eventually all local stations will be doing this.

My take?

Don’t expect better programming.

The “Big Boys” at Clear Channel and Cumulus Broadcasting will most likely have more channels that sound just alike.

The problem is that these big companies streamline so much that it’s not uncommon to have the same person programming more than one station.

Also… I don’t believe for one minute that the “Big Boys” don’t show favorites to the record companies.

Clear Channel has already been busted telling artists “you better book your concert with me or we will not play your music”

Will the extra streams mean more jobs?

Don’t hold your breath there either.

I have written Sen Hutchison, Former Congressmen Lampson and Turner about the near monopoly that Clear Channel and Cumulous have on the radio market in SETX.

Would you believe their response was to say that one of the reasons they allow this is to bring the area “a better variety” and "more choices" of programming!

What were they drinking?

They all used the phrase "a communications revolution” so I'm assuming they are working off of the same talking points.

Come on, give me a break.

The niche markets are gone in Southeast Texas.

I remember when we had a Spanish language station, a Vietnamese station, a 2 Southern Gospel Stations, A Big Band station and other formats that are long-since gone from Southeast Texas.

Now at night I can hear the same D.J. on 96.1 FM and 95.1 FM at the same time.

I can hear the same talk show on 56am and 710 AM at the same time.
Etc, Etc.

It didn’t use to be like that!

God bless the few independents that still exist!